Bachelor’s level experiential learning
Employers + Educators = FUSION!Minnesota IT Center of Excellence announces the FUSION program! What is FUSION? Fusion is “The binding of two or more things, tangible or intangible, into something new that possesses properties of both.” FUSION is an innovative bachelor’s degree IT program which provides corporations, start-ups and government organizations with the skilled application and web development talent they require and students with a proven pathway to career success. The FUSION program develops a new generation of bachelor’s level IT students who are highly employable and prepared for the demands of the market! Our mission is to provide a rewarding career opportunity for students and produce the quality of IT talent needed by Minnesota employers.
Through this unique FUSION I.T. Residency experience, employer partners will harness the talent of students who have the essential qualifications and a demonstrated passion for the field. First, employers are engaged in the education of IT college students. Students are then selected by employers and embedded in project teams that contribute to coding, testing, business analysis, and other roles as needed. Students are employed directly by employer, simplifying the residency relationship for employer partners. Throughout the residency, students have the continued mentoring of a faculty mentor to help develop in the investment of talent development for the organization.
Over the course of the two to three-semester FUSION residency (longer-term internship), students gain both the experience and additional education needed to become highly productive members of project teams upon graduation. Employers and educators are engaged in creating curriculum and providing real-world experience for our IT students. During the first semester of the FUSION residency, students will participate in Career Readiness curriculum at the same time they are enrolled in their residency course. In addition to major course work in IT, we cover key Career Readiness competencies with our students to prepare them personally, professionally and academically in area such as:
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving: Exercise sound reasoning to analyze issues, make decisions, and overcome problems. The individual is able to obtain, interpret, and use knowledge, facts, and data in this process, and may demonstrate originality and inventiveness.
- Oral/Written Communications: Articulate thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in written and oral forms to persons inside and outside of the organization. The individual has public speaking skills; is able to express ideas to others; and can write/edit memos, letters, and complex technical reports clearly and effectively.
- Teamwork/Collaboration: Build collaborative relationships with colleagues and customers representing diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles, and viewpoints. The individual is able to work within a team structure, and can negotiate and manage conflict.
- Digital Technology: Leverage existing digital technologies ethically and efficiently to solve problems, complete tasks, and accomplish goals. The individual demonstrates effective adaptability to new and emerging technologies.
- Leadership: Leverage the strengths of others to achieve common goals, and use interpersonal skills to coach and develop others. The individual is able to assess and manage his/her emotions and those of others; use empathetic skills to guide and motivate; and organize, prioritize, and delegate work.
- Professionalism/Work Ethic: Demonstrate personal accountability and effective work habits, e.g., punctuality, working productively with others, and time workload management, and understand the impact of non-verbal communication on professional work image. The individual demonstrates integrity and ethical behavior, acts responsibly with the interests of the larger community in mind, and is able to learn from his/her mistakes.
- Career Management: Identify and articulate one’s skills, strengths, knowledge, and experiences relevant to the position desired and career goals, and identify areas necessary for professional growth. The individual is able to navigate and explore job options, understands and can take the steps necessary to pursue opportunities, and understands how to self-advocate for opportunities in the workplace.
- Global/Intercultural Fluency: Value, respect, and learn from diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, sexual orientations, and religions. The individual demonstrates openness, inclusiveness, sensitivity, and the ability to interact respectfully with all people and understand individuals’ differences.
Progressive FUSION Employer Partners Benefit By:
- Helping B.S. degree IT students develop a practical blend of professional, technical and real-world experience
- Gaining access to a continuous pipeline of a diverse talent pool college students enrolled in high demand IT career fields
- Developing an IT talent pipeline that develops the skills your business needs through a unique IT residency program
We’re looking for progressive IT employer partners like you who want to:
- Develop bachelors level IT talent for your organization
- Have an impact on the preparation of future IT talent
- Provide real-world experiences for IT college students
- Bridge the experience gap – make a difference for the future of IT
- Provide feedback on college curriculum and instruction
- Select well prepared IT graduates from diverse backgrounds
- Raise your competitive edge by preparing top talent in the IT industry
For details, contact Janice Aanenson, Director, Academic Initiatives at 612-659-7225 or Janice.Aanenson@metrostate.eduEMAIL